My photo
Nadine. Studying Anthropology & Human Rights. Reflections about Life, Faith, Love, Style. Not very eloquent, this is my stream of consciousness. Oh yeah, I want to travel the world.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

My Year on Campus + Apartment Hunting

 In a little more than a month, I will be moving out of my on-campus apartment after my first year at my university.  Let's just say my experience was good, but I am ready to move on.

I lived in a 3 single-bedroom suite with two other girls, and for the duration of the semester, we probably spoke to each other about 10 times at the most.  We could not be any more different! I find this weird, but we're not even friends on Facebook.  There was not a connection made, and I hate it.  After I transferred from a local community college, I was excited to establish relationships with the people I was going to live with.  Our relationship consisted of telling each other when we didn't do something right, or sending each other passive-aggressive texts when we were displeased about something.  I am so done, and so ready to move on.

Now, one of my best friends Erica and I have made the decision to move in together for the next academic year in a 2 bedroom apartment, just a few miles from my University.  What is so great, is that we have a great friendship, and we both live similar lifestyles.



             How we are the same:
             - We are both in serious, long-term relationships.
             - We are both students.
             - We are both working in similar fields.
             - We both love the Giants
How we differ:            
-I am pretty high maintenance, (super girly-girl) she isn't . 
too much of this in one place could be detrimental
- She  will be pursuing her credentials for teaching, while  I'm still doing undergrad  work.
-  My boyfriend is going to be living across the street, weird.



For our apartment hunting process, we began early.  Since she is still living in Central California, finishing up her undergraduate studies, we had to stretch this process out for more security.  We set a budget, browsed various website and set up a top 5 list.  

Originally, we planned on a 2 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment, since that always seems to be a cheaper option, and I don't really find it necessary to have my own bathroom.  (I have been able to share a bathroom with 2 other girls seamlessly.)  We also wanted to be near the highway for accessibility to school and work, as well as in between our church and school.  We definitely did NOT want to live in the downtown area, since it is just plain-old-sketchy, and as two women, we did not feel comfortable making that decision.  

Last week, we scoped out our top choices, and I really liked a few, but some were a little over our budget.  Then we were referred to an apartment complex that is relatively close to my boyfriends, AND it fit right in our budget.  Both Erica and I are very familiar with that area, and feel that it is safe, and accessible.  The perks of this apartment is that it is 2/2 and the rooms are on opposite sides of the apartment.  We both fell in love instantly, since we know we do want our personal space while we live together as well.  The kitchen/living area is what separates our rooms, and both rooms are the same size! ( I was worrying about who would get the larger room/closet space/etc) But with the even shared space, we can split right down the middle!

We are planning to give our deposit in the next few weeks, and discuss move-in times soon! I want to have a good amount of time in this apartment over the summer, just because of how close it is to where I work, and before we go on tour.  You have no idea how excited I am for this, because Erica and I are friends, and we are able to build on our friendship with this experience. 

Bye for now,
-nalovita.

No comments:

Post a Comment