My photo
Nadine. Studying Anthropology & Human Rights. Reflections about Life, Faith, Love, Style. Not very eloquent, this is my stream of consciousness. Oh yeah, I want to travel the world.

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Fear of People.

I find myself always having an extra seat between myself and the next stranger.  I realized this is the norm for almost every scenario where there isn't an innumerable amount of people.  Why is that?  I feel as if society has been transforming from respecting personal space to complete fear of a stranger.

Think of being in an empty elevator, you are headed up to your floor and suddenly you are stopped right between the lobby and your floor, another person walks in, and generally both people take opposite sides of the elevator.  I rarely encounter a person who stands close, or starts up conversation.

Then I think about this past week, when I went to my first Jazz concert (future post), and I decided to sit closest to the wall, to avoid sitting next to a stranger.  WHY!!!! I am studying Anthropology, and that is the study of humans, why is it so difficult for me to break past the barriers of being next to someone new?

I am challenging myself to get rid of this fear, and social norms that have been engrained in me.  Of course I will practice this safely, but who knows?  Maybe I will meet someone who will change my life.

Bye for now,
-nalovita.

No comments:

Post a Comment