My photo
Nadine. Studying Anthropology & Human Rights. Reflections about Life, Faith, Love, Style. Not very eloquent, this is my stream of consciousness. Oh yeah, I want to travel the world.

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Bi-Cultural

Cultural Relativism is the principle of regarding the beliefs, values, and practices of a culture from the viewpoint of that culture itself. - Chegg

I am so blessed to grow up in two cultures that are worlds apart.  Filipino-American.

So, this is me, Nadine.  We have been studying what cultural relativism is in school, but it just hit me in the recent weeks that my view of the world, isn't the same as the person to the left or the right of me.  Our experiences, our upbringing and our cultural background have made a large impact on our lens of the world.

What came to mind, was while I was looking at photos of the 8 abolitionists trip to Cambodia, I was reflecting on the familiar images, and smells and feelings that came to me when I went 2 years ago.  I was also thinking about the Philippines and how it's not that different  from this world.  Then I realized, almost everyone who is following their endeavors have not seen this world, and do not know what it is truly like.. the only way they have gained insight was through their computer screens, books, and scarce media.






Now don't get me wrong, this isn't a negative thing on anyones part, just an observation.  I just find it extremely interesting, and so grateful of my perspective.  My church community is pretty homogeneous, although that is gradually shifting as time moves on, I think it is more because of the location and economic status of most of the people in the area.  (Let's be honest, most cultural groups like to stay within their own cultural groups!) When I first became active, a lot of my new friends did not understand why I acted certain ways, or why I thought specific thoughts, or even some of the language I used.  Now, I understand completely!

A few weeks ago, a kid wanted to sit down when there were no more seats on the comfy couches, and had to resort to the floor.  After a 9 am to 7 pm day, I was extremely exhausted and wanted to sit on the couch as well.. Of course, I got there first, and this kid was whining and thinking of ways for me to give up my seat.  He stated, "Well I'm American." as the last comment.  At first, I was infuriated, offended and at a loss for words.  Of course I didn't let him have the seat.  There is still something incredibly wrong with his statement, and I am saddened that he found that as a way of superiority, but one thing I guess he doesn't know is that I am too.  Sure I don't fit the general public's view of what an American is, but that is changing.  I am not just an American, I am a Filipino-American, but American nonetheless.

Bye for now,
-nalovita

No comments:

Post a Comment